Oct 30, 2008

Halloween, Guy Fawke's Day, and Chowder

Last night was the Gangwha crew's combination Halloween and Guy Fawke's celebration which meant soju mixed with orange soda in keeping with the autumn theme of the night. Aside from that and the mac and cheese being called mummy brains, it was like every Wednesday night: soju, makju, and later, nuribung. Any well, its always a good time. I forgot to give Matt my extra helmet which is officially the third time I have forgotten it. Oh, well. Its such a hassle getting down to Ganghwa -eup, where everyone lives. Its either at 45 minute bus ride or an half hour motorbike round down there and there is no bus later than 10 pm and drunk driving is out of the question so I always have to take a taxi and am always slammed with the after 1 am surcharge. Its still pretty cheap by western standards but its money that could be spent better. One night everyone ought to come down to my place but I don't think anyone would be up for that one. Its just too far out of the way. But I guess that's the price I have to pay for contact with my western friends and it is definitely worth it. This Friday, is the pan-Ganghwa teachers' meeting, which is a very big deal in local education. All the teachers, including the ESL and Chinese teachers, will gather for a morning meeting. I suppose that will be completely boring as most of it will be a complete mystery to me. But after the meeting the students of the particular school where we are meeting will serve us lunch and drinks. Following that, after everyone is good and liquored up, there will be a teachers' soccer match. And after that, with the afternoon having completely degenerated, we all will go to a dog restuarant. Yes, a dog restuarant. Like woof, woof (or, as the Koreans say: mung, mung). I'm sure it is as completely awful as it sounds. There is no possible way dog can taste any good. It is a delicacy to them. And like all the so called delicacies (live octopus, pickled raw crab) I have tried, I'm sure that it will be pretty bad. This Saturday is our New England night. Yes, it was completely my idea. I picked up some over priced Sam Adams from Seoul and will be making Clam Chowder. I hope it comes out well. Some of the local guys will be coming. They love clams here so I hope it will be a hit. This coming Sunday, Barb, one of the ESL teacher is leaving so we are throwing her a going away party of sorts so that ought to be fun. Well, I think I shall close with that.

2 comments:

Mikey G said...

Remember remember the 5th of November... or whenever you choose to celebrate Guy Fawke's Day.

Maybe the dog will be delicious. Lewis and Clark reported that it was pretty good, so you might be in for a shocking delicacy that is not awful! Okay, it is probably bad, but still...

I also think it's weird that different regions of the world ascribe different noises to dogs. In Italy it's "bow bow."

Hope all is well with you, and here's hoping the election prevents any potential situation whereby Sarah Palin is in a position to sit as the head of the United States government. (I am afraid; very very afraid)

Dave said...

Mike. Sarah Palin is terrifying. I have more foreign policy experience than she does. It's unbelievable that she cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as experience. She is pretty foxy, though (for a governor). I have no idea what the McCain Campaign was thinking. He's definitely lost touch. Observe the removal of the McCain banner from my Facebook. I'm pulling for Teddy Roosevelt this election