Oct 24, 2008

At the Zoo

Today's weather is rather brisk and is the first day I have worn a sweater. Sometimes the evenings have been chilly but this is the first time I have had to wear one during the day. The sun is very bright, the rain from yesterday has fully disapated, and it is, in my opinion, a very pleasant autumn day. I mailed a second batch of postcards out to those who didn't get one for whatever reason the last time I mailed them out. I also did a little writing this morning and made some progress on my current project but nothing really substantial. I don't know if I have the patience and the fortitude to complete what I have set out to do but it passes my time and keeps me from being idle, which is something I am always in fear of being. I have four classes to teach this evening, two high school and two middle school sections. The high school section should be very easy. My students are both very cooperative and actually have pretty strong English skills. However, the two middle school classes today are the same group of kids from yesterday, with whom I always have difficulty. Today's lesson is animals and animal names. I have prepared a matching game involving animal pictures and text. I will also have them listen to "At the Zoo" by Simon and Garfunkel and have them fill in the missing animal names on the lyrics sheet I have made out. I really hope I can hold their attention. I think I may be able to is I keep my energy level very high and be an absolute goof. Well, I just hope it works out.

1 comment:

Mikey G said...

That title reminds me of the song Roberto Begnini sings in "Johnny Stacchino." with all the moffia tough guys in the barber shop at the end of the film.

Good to see some updates on here. I received your postcard last week, I appreciate that. My mom was in awe of how long your address was on there, moreso than she was awed by the monument, which I find strange.

It seems like that's a fascinating place you find yourself in, and I'm sure the hospitality is much appreciated. I honestly have had three doors slam shut in my face in the past two weeks because ditzy spray tanned underclassmen girls in sweatpants are either too oblivious or too cool to hold the door for the guy literally right behind them...

Anyway, good to hear about how things are going on the other side of the globe. I hope the unruly kiddies don't make things too unbearable.

Cheers,
-Mike