Dec 22, 2008

Say AHH!

What could have been a wonderful weekend has turned into a weekend of grossness and of pain. Robin and I have strep throat. I didn't even know adults got that. I thought it was a shitty thing that elementary students got but apparently teachers get it as well and let me tell you, it sucks as much I remember. This past weekend was Robin's birthday (well, technically it's today) and we had planned to do number of things. I did manage to take here out for Indian food Saturday night before either of us were really that sick but soon after that, both of our muscles started aching and by the time Sunday morning came around, we felt as though we had been run over by firetrucks. Instead of singing for Mass and for the evening Lessons and Carols service, which we had been looking forward to for a couple of weeks, we laid around, not able to do much and not able to eat much. We were able to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and most of "Howl's Moving Castle" which was some reprieve from awful burning sensation in our throats.

This morning, we both went to Yonsei Hospital's international walk-in clinic. I didn't trust going to a Korean doctor on Ganghwa. The staff there was very nice and it was neither dirty or crowded like Gimpo hospital. We were both diagnosed with strep throat. Well, 'acute tonsilitis'. We were given antibiotics and iodine mouth wash (yummy). After that, I returned Ganghwa and Samryang High School with a doctor's note in order to explain why I couldn't teach any classes today. They couldn' get the idea that my voice was completely shot and couldn't possibly talk for the duration of one 50 minute class, nevermind four. They tried telling me that if I took a nap, I would be better. They apparently have no idea what strep thoat is. I can't raise my voice over a certain level without it being excruciatingly painful. They finally relented after I mentioned that I can take a sick day provided that I have a doctor's note which I had. Those crazy Koreans. But anyway, I've been sleeping most of today, only having woken up a few minutes ago to eat some ice cream and take some antibiotics. I'm feeling a little better but not much. Hopefully, I will be right as rain tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to update your blog, babe? People are going to think you died of that strep throat.