Dec 15, 2008

Christmastime in Ganghwa.


I'm sitting here, unshaven, listening to Christmas music, having just done some reading. I had most of today off. My students are taking their final exams. The time I was there, I just finished writing out Christmas cards. This past weekend, like every weekend, was quite wonderful. I am very much in love with Robin. I don't think that's a mystery to anyone, considering the way I speak about her. Any time I spend with her is amazing, even just sitting together reading silently. We did not really do any of that this weekend. It was actually a very busy weekend. Saturday, we went to house warming party of a Korean friend of ours. We had a wonderful dinner there. Stewed chicken, noodles and no kimchi in sight. Jennifer, whose house we were visiting, gave Robin a wonderful necklace hand made onGanghwa. It is very pretty.

After dinner, we headed back to Seoul to Robin's apartment. We watched the Passion of Joan of Arc, which is an incredibly powerful film chronicling the trial and execution of the saint, directed by a young Carl Th. Dreyer. It's not a very romantic film but it is wonderfully moving. I have seen it before but the scene where Joan is refused the Blessed Sacrament by the chief priest brought a tear to my eye once again. The black and white cinematography, focusing on the facial expressions of the actor, allows the viewer to be engaged in the emotions of the characters and ultimately to fear the suffering and the humiliation of Joan. It is a wonderful film. Robin really loved it.

The following, we went to Mass at the English Mission. The both of us got to the chapel early to rehearse for the choir. Robin has a beautiful voice and is much more musically inclined than I am. She follows all the choir jargon perfectly well while I have no idea even what parts I'm supposed to sing. I must seem so ignorant to everyone. My lack of musical training is a little emabarassing. I feel slightly uneducated in that regard. Oh, the things one does for love. But we sang one of my favourite hymns Be Thou My Vision which turns out be one of Robin's also.

After Mass, we went to lunch with a friend we met at church. His name was Chris. He's an incredibly intelligent guy, with a pretty good knowledge of Koine Greek. He definitely had his eye on Robin which definitely made me rather jealous. We ended up going to a Thai place that's in the same building as Robin's school. It was very good. It blows Korean food out the water any day.

Well, that's all for now. I'll be updating again soon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hum... that Chris... good lookin' fella too!! ;P